- · protect classified material
- · detect attempts at espionage and other security violations
- · report incidents, violations and status changes affecting personnel and facility clearances
Training programs should address three issues:
- Effective Performance – The NISPOM requires cleared employees to attend initial and refresher training. The FSO should explain NISPOM requirements as they apply to the cleared facility’s storage and clearance levels and mission.
- Adverse Information – Cleared employees should be able to report credible anything that affects the ability of themselves, other cleared employees and the facility’s ability to protect classified information. Traditionally, those who have stolen information from their organizations have demonstrated patterns and behavior that should have raised suspicion with co-workers much earlier. Too much time at the copier, working late when unnecessary, sudden unexplained wealth and other indicators have been reported to investigators after the fact. Timely reporting is a vital link between security and employees in the protection of classified information. Adverse information should be reported immediately. Reluctance to report information on themselves could stem from FSOs not adequately communicated the objective of reporting.
- Security Violations – Security violations occur when classified information is not protected. When violations do occur they must be reported to the FSO immediately. Relationships can develop while conducting training and other interaction opportunities could lead to more willingness to report minor incidents and major violations. Investigations and interviews should be conducted to find root causes and determine whether or not a loss, compromise or suspected compromise has occurred. The results are either handled in-house or sent to DSS depending on the findings.
Jeffrey W. Bennett, ISP is the owner of Red Bike Publishing Red Bike Publishing . Jeff is an accomplished writer of non-fiction books, novels and periodicals. He also owns Red bike Publishing. Published books include: "Get Rich in a Niche-Insider's Guide to Self Publishing in a Specialized Industry" and "Commitment-A Novel". Jeff is an expert in security and has written many security books including: "Insider's Guide to Security Clearances" and "DoD Security Clearances and Contracts Guidebook", "ISP Certification-The Industrial Security Professional Exam Manual", and NISPOM/FSO Training" See Red Bike Publishing for print copies of: Army Leadership, The Ranger Handbook, The Army Physical Readiness Manual, Drill and Ceremonies, The ITAR,and The NISPOM