- Clearly identifiable when in used (non authorized users are warned about controls)
- Access controlled are established and authorized employees challenge all who enter to ensure clearance and need to know
- Physical barriers are not always needed, but some method of preventing classified conversation, objects, information and other products from unauthorized disclosure should be implemented
- Restricted areas are for temporary use of classified material and all classified material needs to be returned to the repository.
- Restricted areas are used when controlling access to classified material in a large area
- Only used during working hours
- Ensure cleared employees have access to the security classification guides so that they understand what is classified and how to protect it
- Develop a technology control plan to protect ITAR and export controlled technical data from unauthorized export to any non-us person employees and visitors
- Same technology control plan could be adapted for use as a classified information control plan to keep uncleared and non-need to know employees from exposure to program information
- Brief cleared and uncleared employees of their responsibilities under the technology and classified information control plans
- Establish access controls to protect information when work is being conducted
- Use a document control or accountability system to track the use of classified information. Though it’s not required, it’s a good idea to use a system of signing out and returning classified information to the repository.
- At the end of the day, sweep the Restricted Area and ensure all classified information has been removed. Check the document records to ensure it has been turned in, Security Container Check Sheet to ensure the safe is closed and complete end of day checks.
Jeffrey W. Bennett, ISP is the owner of Red Bike Publishing Red Bike Publishing .
Jeff is an accomplished writer of non-fiction books, novels and periodicals. He also owns Red bike Publishing. Published books include: "Get Rich in a Niche-Insider's Guide to Self Publishing in a Specialized Industry" and "Commitment-A Novel". Jeff is an expert in security and has written many security books including: "Insider's Guide to Security Clearances" and "DoD Security Clearances and Contracts Guidebook", "ISP Certification-The Industrial Security Professional Exam Manual", and NISPOM/FSO Training" See Red Bike Publishing for print copies of: Army Leadership, The Ranger Handbook, The Army Physical Readiness Manual, Drill and Ceremonies, The ITAR,and The NISPOM